Sunday, January 16, 2011

A TRIBUTE TO MY FRIEND


Proverbs 17:17 tells us "A friend loves at all times". After many years of friendship, I've come to know this is true. My best friend will be turning 50 in February. This posting is a tribute to her.

It all began in the 6th (that's right 6th) grade, and we've been best friends ever since. I can't tell you exactly how the friendship began, but I can tell you next to God and family, it is the best relationship I have. We have been best friends as long as I can remember. We survived high school, college at a junior college,( still have nightmares about that full length rabbit coat) then on to Carson Newman. We even managed to make it through graduate school together. We have had our ups and downs (I'll never forget that vacation in Daytona when she left her mom and me at a restaurant). I don't think we spoke to each other all the way home. But, those incidents were rare.

She has 2 beautiful daughters that I am very proud of. I take some credit for their raising , because I was the house/babysitter if she had to be out of town. I can remember keeping Cierra's bottle under my pillow to keep it warm for her night feeding. I never had children of my own, so I kinda claim them, along with my other nieces and nephews.

You never REALLY know how strong a person is, until they go through adversity. Sandy has far exceeded her share of adversity. Her grandmother, who by the way made the BEST blackberry cobbler, passed away when Sandy was pregnant with her first child. She never got to know any of her great grandchildren. But, without a doubt, her biggest adversity was when her oldest daughter was diagnosed with cancer on the day she was to graduate from college. I will never forget the look Sandy gave me when the doctor came in and used the dreaded "C"word. You just don't expect to hear that about your daughter who is just poised on beginning her own life. DEVASTATION!! Sandy was amazing through the whole ordeal. Oh, I'm sure she had her moments in private, but I went to see her one weekend, thinking I was going to cheer her up, and I was the one that walked away feeling better. Cierra is great now, and living and working in Nashville. Her youngest daughter, McKenzie is a teacher (just like her mom and Me) :) That makes me smile cause I know she is GREAT with her students. That's what she always wanted to be.

I don't get to see Sandy nearly as much as I would like to. She lives about 1 1/2 hours away from me. But we do all the normal calling, e-mailing, and texting. She is still always one of the first ones I call when something good(or bad) happens. When we do get together, we always pick up right where we left off. (Good times).
Yes, my friend is turning 50 this year, (before me, I always like to rub in). We have already decided that 50 is the new 30. So, going back to Proverbs 17:17 " A friend loves at all times". I've found mine. I can only hope and pray you find yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment